Sunday, January 23, 2011

Week #2 - Mirrors in Waiting

It's been months since I bought some cute mirrors at Trees & Trends.  I had some grand plans for them but time didn't allow and then once I'd have time I couldn't decided where I wanted to put them.  Last week tho, once the snow had melted I was getting antsy, I needed a project!  Currently I'm in the myhouseisnolongerdrowninginChristmasdecor&itfeelssonaked mode.  I do like stage because it lets me start fresh - but I get little crazy and then nothing is safe from paint, hot glue, and a nail [really I took something I use on a regular basis and decided I just HAD to hang in on my wall...I may regret that, but so far so good :)]
Where were we? Oh right mirrors...So I bought these lovely little numbers a few months ago.
 Oh sure they look great, but look closer...see not so great!
They were the last two left and it looks like they'd seen better days.  When I saw them I thought, "ooo I could totally change them, well if they are a good price" 
Unfortunately THIS is not a good price to me - especially when I'm gonna have to make them look much better.  However, I did feel pretty good since they were marked down from $20. So I kindly asked the clerk if there was any possible way that I could get a discount (sometimes I don't know what comes over me, I think it's all the spray paint fumes that have gone to my head).  By assertive I was and convincing I must of been cause that sweet gal asked her boss and bam - they gave me a discount!  So I walked away with both of these for $14 - that was good for me (I'm pretty sure "me" came back around and was feeling mighty awful for even asking for money off)
So last week I brought an old tablecloth out, put the mirrors on them and got my glaze out.  I was really hoping that the glaze would match perfectly to fill the big knicks.  Buuuut, not so much.  (see that white peeking out there...argh!)
 So then I thought - "oh I have stain left from the table - that would probably cover a bit better and at least stain the white" so I got that out.  It worked much better but I had to rub it over the entire mirror.  Still when I was rubbing on and rubbing off large white spots were peeking through.  
So like any good crafter I resorted to the cure all - enter the brown sharpie!  Oh yay, no we're talking baby!  That sharpie added the extra coverage and then once I put the stain over it again we were good!  I just love the way they turned out and like the distressed parts.  I'm loving were I finally decided to hang them too -- it did cause for a bit of a rearranging domino affect, but that is part of the fun!
See ya next week (or technically the end of this week...I'm a bit behind)


No comments: