Friday, January 14, 2011

Week #1 - Project fail

Maybe it was due to all this that I didn't get anything done for my first week.  One would think quite the opposite and that I would dive headfirst into project-land.

But I'm thinking that it was this that actually slowed the creative mo-jo!  There has been a lot of sniffling, sneezing, coughing, congested, eye pressure, doctor visiting, pharmacy running, and nose wiping around here.
  So the most that I got done was this...cute kid and all :) [Technically the boy is a project all on it's own, but I mean really - I neither decorate with him or can take all the creative credit for him]



But one time I did make this - and I can tell ya how, super easy like :)
First I bought a super cheap set of twin sheets from target (I paid five whole dollars - that's a lot of fabric for not much moola).  I doubled the flat sheet over and wrapped it around the nap mat, then cut it to size (with a bit left on the edge).  I then turned the sheet inside out and used stitch witch to bond the whole thing together.  I found some soft minky blue fabric to add to the top (using the hemming/bonding tape again) and then slipped the mat in just like a pillow into the pillow case (needed to have it done this way so that it could slip off easily for washing - which it has held up to nicely!  I've only had to run an iron over one edge once!).  For the actual pillow I took one of the pillow case and put a small travel size pill into length wise (so I would only have to bond one side)  Cut the excess off and attach another minky piece (while inside out of course) and Voila!  You got yourself a nap mat cover and pillow case.  Now I know those aren't great directions and there are certainly no measurements - but this project was totally fly by the seat of my pants, like night before preschool started hand to "pull it together" type of project.  I essentially used what I had on hand (and didn't sew, which would be easy to do, b/c the singer and I had a knock down drag out fight and all I have to say is we both lost!  She is still in pieces and my brain is no more together at putting her back together than it was when I decided to take her apart)  But it just proves that you can do a whole lot with very little and it can still be done with ease. 
Supplies; iron, stitch witch, fabric, nap mat, scissors, pillow/stuffing

No comments: